Fly Rod & Reel Spring Issue

Just finished up the spring issue of Fly Rod & Reel and thought I would give you a heads up to look for it on the newsstands now. We’re pretty proud of this issue for several reasons, including our decision to commission art for the cover. Fortunately for me I didn’t have to look far to find the right artist for the job. As most of you know, my father, Fred Thomas, is an award winning wildlife artist and a great outdoorsman and his illustration of a mayfly bursting through the cover of FRR is, in my opinion, a classic. But it’s not the only reason to check out this issue—we detail four super-productive spring hatches, Leeson reviews modern sling packs, Seth Norman takes us on a cruise through the Sacramento Delta for bass, Dave Hughes offers three easy techniques for subsurface trout, Gierach defines a bad day, I detail my efforts to catch a 50-inch pike in Manitoba, and we consider the addictive nature of the American River shad run. There’s more, of course, but those are some of the highlights. Check it out and let me know what you think of the cover. Do you prefer art over an image? Just curious. GT

This entry was posted in Culture and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Fly Rod & Reel Spring Issue

1. Jack Brown says:

Great Cover ! Your Dad did a great job ! It is nice to see something different. From time to time.

• Greg Thomas says:

Thanks for the comment. Really helps to get the feedback. If enough people like this and respond, we’ll likely do more of these together, with Fred and other artists. Thanks, Jack.

2. John Yuschak says:

Love the art work on the new issue and would prefer to see more on the future covers .
    I’m not sure if it has been done before but I think it would be a great idea to have a issue dedicated to the artist of our sport featuring artist , fly tyers , and rod builders.

• Greg Thomas says:

I’m limited editorially by the number of issues I produce each year, but I would love to put together a special issue sometime covering just what you’re talking about. We do the angle on art column, which I’m proud of, and we will be doing something later this year on a set of “artists” in various mediums. You can look forward to that. Thanks for the input, John.

3. Cory Swenson aka Mountain Hippie says:

Absolutely love the artwork and change up from the standard grip n grin cover. Most of all, I love the father/son collaboration.
    One of my sons is a rookie helicopter pilot. One of my dreams is to someday collaborate with him on a high adventure fly in flyfishing trip. He can fly me in and I’ll tie his flies and build his rod.

• Greg Thomas says:

Great comment. Thanks for the words. Sounds like you have a great relationship with your son, too. Fred and I have been able to a lot of great things together and these are the most rewarding moments in my life. I am super fortunate to have have the father I’ve had. His love of the outdoors passed along to me and that is a gift. Whenever I can work on a project with him it’s a bonus. Fortunately, we team up on an article in every issue of Big Sky Journal. Have a great time on that hell-fishing trip! GT

4. Brian Ramsey says:

I love the cover art as well! It’s classy and creative. The first time I ever saw a Fred Thomas drawing was in a Charley Waterman upland birdhunting book.
    Hope you are well and loving Missoula…again!